This article comes from Alfred's Premier Piano Course, At-Home 1-A
How can I support my child in piano lessons?
- Show interest in music in everyday life.
- Take your child to extra-curricular musical events such as recitals, concerts and musicals.
- Play music in your home and car.
- Encourage summer piano study.
- Get a good instrument--it does not have to be top-of-the-line. Students won't advance beyond the quality of their instrument. Have the piano tuned at least once a year to keep it in the best shape.
- Encourage your child to form a group of friends with similar interests and goals in music.
- Relate music study to other subjects and life in general.
- Encourage your child to sing, sight-read and experiment with the piano to foster creativity, improvisation and playing by ear.
- Encourage your child to read books about music, and use computer programs and websites related to music theory and fundamentals.
- Encourage your child to experiment with features of digital keyboards.